What is Dianping?
Dianping is China’s leading local lifestyle information and trading platform and claims to be the world’s first independent third-party consumer review website, with more than 200 million unique mobile users.
Dianping has more than 15 billion page views (websites and mobile devices),f which mobile browsers accounted for more than 85% of the total.
Dianping provides information services such as user information, consumer reviews and commercial offers and discounts, and also provides O2O (Online To Offline) services as it combines features of Groupon, Deliveroo, Tripadvisor, and Yelp!
It offers full coverage of travel and lifestyle services, allowing users to complete their online purchases within just one app. It is an App that keeps customers clinging onto the platform. It’s what enables it to succeed in so many areas.
A Bit of Background about Dianping
Commonly referred to as just “Dianping” (which literally translate into “Public Reviews”), its real full name is Meituan-Dianping as it is the merge of two giant Chinese Apps: Dazhong Dianping (mostly for foo, services and places of interest reviews) and Meituan (China’s biggest food delivery app)
Originally Meituan and Dianping were two separate companies competing in essentially the same space.
In 2015, these bitter rivals finally combined forces through a merger and became another –like Wechat – Chinese Super-App that covers a wide range of its user needs as it combines features of Groupon, Deliveroo, Tripadvisor, and Yelp!
It offers full coverage of travel and lifestyle services, allowing users to complete their online purchases within just one app. The convenience is what keeping the customers clinging onto the platform. It’s also what enables it to succeed in so many areas.
Dianping in the Numbers
How Dianping + WeChat Integration Optimizes O2O
Dianping’s quality local “real life” content is highly integrated with Tencent’s social communications platforms such as Wechat to enable better user experience when accessing high-quality local life content across multiple platforms, allowing users to share local life experiences conveniently with their friends, and providing merchants efficient O2O solutions
Dianping KOLs & KOCs
Dianping users get rating –and become KOLs & KOCs based on the number, length and reaction obtained from their reviews. As Dianping is based upon real reviews from real customers, respectability and trust is highly valued. Ranking goes from 1 to 8 (maximum level).
The top reviewers or KOCs are known as V达人or “V experts”. Their reviews are often featured and appear on Dianping’s homepage. By attracting these “V experts” to a store, visibility can highly increase and the O2O cycle can be completed by sharing those reviews on social media channels (Wechat for example)
Dianping Reviews & Notes
A short review with a star rating for the establishment
A long detailed article called “note” with details of the food/product/experience and detailed information. More valuable and authoritative than the reviews as they require the KOL to actually spend time and share his or her own experience in length.
7 Reasons to Use Dianping as a Marketing Tool
1. Dianping offers full coverage of travel and lifestyle services, allowing users to complete a full O2O cycle within just one app.
2. Dianping -like WeChat and Douyin- is a driver of hype in most aspects of Chinese culture.
3. Using Meituan-Dianping’s interface as a review platform or destination search is fairly simple and well integrated. Consumers can access it either via their own app or through a WeChat mini-program.
4. KOLs and KOCs on Dianping don’t have their own pages. Their level of engagement with brands and products has more influence on other users.
5. KOLs and KOCs content-heavy reviews serve as “seeding” for genuine, trustworthy “word of mouth” strategy.
6. Dianping serves as a place for consumers to engage and interact with brands and for brands to gauge the community’s sentiment around their brand and/or product.
7. Dianping numbers speak for themselves: 15 billion annual visits. Average 13 minutes of users daily time on the App.
Comments are closed.